I just checked the AirTransat website and the exact flight (round trip from Tdot to London) that I purchased for $1000 is now $750. What a bummer, I wish I wasn’t one of those people who obsessively check prices of things they’ve already booked. There’s really nothing I could have done and now I just feel cheated! Boooo. Think of what beautiful things I could have bought in Europe with an extra $250!
I hate you fluctuating airline prices! I really should just get aeroplan card… hmm..
Ahhhhh I can’t believe it, less than 3 weeks until my Big, Giant, Humongous & Amazing Eurotrip!!!!!!! I still can’t believe it’s coming up so soon - I am feeling a mixture of nervousness and excitement - nervous to fly alone (meeting friends in Europe, one is already in Spain and the other in England) and excited to not work for a month and to just enjoy life. Finally, everything is booked and I’m dead broke but it’s still so worth it. I’m starting off in London with a Topdeck tour for 9 days which ends in Rome and heading to a luxury Greek/Italy cruise for 12 days (which btw, was super cheap. Check out vacationstogo.com for amazing prices!). We end in Venice and from there, I’m going to spend 3 days in Berlin and 4 days in Amsterdam!
Anyways, just to brag a bit about the places I’m going:
- England (London & Brighton) - It’s been almost 14 years since I’ve moved to Canada from England and I’m so excited to see my hometown! I get to see the pier that my dad used to take me to and the university my parents went to. AHH Can’t wait - plus Brighton Beach is amazing so it will be good times! I am definitely going to stuff my face full of fish & chips & mushy peas, yummmm!!
- France (Paris & Nice) - I went to Paris when I was 10 and absolutely hated it. I know, I know that’s a ridiculous thing to say “I hate Paris” but I was also dragged to museums upon museums by my parents and as a 10 year old, I would have much preferred a zoo or disneyland. I remember thinking the Eiffel Tower was just a piece of ugly metal ”this is IT?!” and that the Louvre was the worst thing ever. I highly doubt I will have the same opinions. Anyways, I’m really pumped to experience Paris as a 25 year old - I’m sure I’d appreciate it a lot more. Plus, it’s a whole new trip/experience going with friends vs. parents. Maybe I’ll check out Moulin Rouge!!
- Switzerland (Not exactly sure where) - I think we are doing a brief stop over in Switzerland and there’s an opportunity to sky dive. I was REALLY thinking about it but I think for $650, I could probably do alot more in Europe than just sky dive. (Italian leather handbags? Scarves? Jewelry?) Plus to be honest, I’m terrifed even thinking about. ugh, shiver. Maybe I will do something less daring like hang gliding? Okay, that’s giving me shivers too.
- Monaco (Monte Carlo) - EEK!! Considering I love gambling (not -holic), I am soooooo pumped to check out Monte Carlo, plus everything will be so extravagant and very european.
- Italy (Florence, Rome, Naples & Venice) - Pizza, pasta, leather bags, shopping, and beautiful islands/scenery. How can you go wrong? I can’t wait to eat and spend lots of money …. and hopefully not get pick-pocketed.
- Greece (Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Corfu & Olympia) - Okay so Greece is probably on my “Top 5 countries” to visit and I was super, duper excited until I went to a friend’s birthday dinner last night and the first thing she said to me was "Are you scared to go to Greece?! I hear the country is f-cked right now!" WTF?! Really?! I mean, I know there are riots… but there was also a riot in Toronto a few months ago and that doesn’t mean it’s dangerous so really?! Will it be that terrifying? Even though the country is in debt, it’s still okay b/c they are in the European Union right? (I hope I don’t sound ignorant, lol.) I’m trying to not think about it b/c I am so excited to sit on the beautiful beach and tan! I mean, I doubt there will be anything dangerous going on on the beaches but still…. I’m also so pumped to see the Acropolis and many of the beautiful Temples (Poseidon, Zeus, etc.,) Fingers crossed that nothing else bad happens before August! (Or ever)
- Germany (Berlin) - AHHH I am a huge WWII buff, love the movies, love learning about it and love reading about it so I’m pumped to see all the history behind this beautiful city! Also - the Berlin Wall will be amazing to see - in addition, I’m a tad obsessed with Black Ops and there’s a map with the Berlin Wall. (GEEK!) Also, I heard Berlin has a great nightlife and amazing restaurants. Plus, sleeping in a 4 star hotel in the centre of the city? GOLD!
- Netherlands (Amsterdam, obvs) - Saving the best (and craziest) for last. I heard/read somewhere that they are looking to shut down all the coffee shops to tourists so basically, you can only smoke there legally if you are a Dutch citizen. So stupid considering 75%+ of their tourism are teenagers and 20-something year olds looking to smoke some amazing weed! (unless you have a tulip fascination) Anyways, needless to say I’m happy I chose to go to Europe this year. I would cry if I never got the chance to order some hash or space cakes off a menu. Do you think it’s safe to bike around high? (Note: I’m also clumsy as hell)
So in a nutshell, I’m P-U-M-P-E-D. Time is going by so quickly though and I have so much shit to buy, arrange, figure out. And how am I going to PACK?! It’s going to be hard picking what to bring and not packing more than 4 pairs of shoes. Must figure all of this out soon.
WOOOOO! Okay, off to go paintballing, wish me luck I don’t get hit in the head! :)
I’m pretty sure this Canada Day weekend was the BEST weather we’ve ever had in years. 4 whole days of beautiful sunshine (and still continuing) Lucky us!
I went home to Ottawa to swim in my pool , see my fam & friends and of course, meet Kate & Will. I even climbed the Parliament Hill fence (highly illegal) so I could get on the hill!! It was soooo packed and hot, I felt a tad faint from the sun. Unfortunately, I didn’t get up close and personal but I did see Will and Kate (and her beautiful red Maple Leaf fascinator and red pumps) from afar. She’s definitely even more beautiful in person and they were so great with the crowd! The pair of them are seriously have won over Canada and they have just increased my Obsession Meter tenfold. I WANT TO BE HER!
So aside from stalking them, I got to see my best friend (who was in the VIP section, btw) and met her boyfriend finally! My boyfriend came over and we all had a nice swim and BBQ with our families. I spent some nice quality time with my parents, my bf’s family and hung out with one of my University friends. Overall, an amazing weekend - it actually makes me appreciate how great Ottawa is. I just can’t live there permanently. ever.
On another note, I’m going to get hair feather extensions with a girlfriend today. I saw them on Pretty Little Liars last week (See below for Aria’s hair) and have been obsessed since. I’m a bit worried it will look tacky on my newly short hair and a bit unprofessional for work but I think if I get neutral colours and just a couple, it won’t be so bad! Plus, they will be a nice accessory. Wish me luck!