I took off the work day on Friday and ended up shopping in the States for 12 hours with Harrison’s dad’s GF. It was crazy! I can’t believe how much money I spent but here are some things I’m pretty damn happy about:
Coach Bag - I really should stop purchasing coach bags as I have so many but it’s hard when they are a) discounted at the outlet store b) so damn pretty. I got this cute small purple & leather side bag and I’m loving it! Great for going out and my fave colour too!
Winter jacket - I needed another Winter jacket as I stupidly lost my beautiiiiiful dark purple jacket last year. The best part? I spent $20 on a $100 jacket. Thank you Macy’s discounts! Simple, black & practical.
Black/Grey/Purple Argyle sweater for Harris - he loved it. Wooo! Also got a few stocking stuffers as well.
A crapload of Bath & Body works hand soaps which are my fave. No other hand soaps smell THIS good. Also some candles and shizz for my bff’s housewarming.
Pink Kate Spade passport holder. And one for my friend’s birthday.
OPI, China Glaze, Zoya nail polishes - remember? my new addiction? it’s become totally out of hand. Somebody help me!
Random Christmas presents and tidbits. :)
Anddddd I have to go back next week as well b/c my friend is visiting from Ottawa and wants to check out the outlets! Great on my happiness level. Terrible on my bank account.
I also picked up the new Kindle for part of Harrison’s anniversary prez and it’s gorgeous and amazing! We’ve already downloaded 87 books on it so it basically paid for itself. Still contemplating if I should get one or just wait when I have a bit more money. (probably the latter as Xmas is only SIX WEEKS AWAY Wtf)
On Saturday, Harris made us a delicious dinner of scrambled eggs, french toast (MMMmmm) and hash browns! We went for a walk around Bloor West Village, had a red velvet latte (not as good as it sounds) - I am seriously seriously going to miss Toronto when we move. TEAR. We played some card games before dinner - new game called 99 = so much fun. Our Italian restaurant reservations fell through so we ended up going to a pub and munched on delicious sandwiches/burgers/fries.
I also had a Macfund reunion Saturday night! It was so nice to see my old coworkers again… I made some pretty amazing friends at that work place. I remember Summers where we would see/hang out with each other every night after shift, all of the parties and get togethers, fun shifts, end of year hide & seeks in the office, camping together, numerous convos about life and just being plain ROWDY. I worked there for 4 years and each year, there were new friends, amazing experiences and just a really good atmosphere. The work wasn’t always the greatest but it was allll worth it. That job gave me the experience and background to be able to do what I do now (Fundraising/Event Planning/Public Relations) and lifetime friends. :)
The only shitty situation was when one of our super drunk friends decided to cross the street without looking and despite our screaming, cars honking, she kept going AND ALMOST GOT HIT BY A FUCKING TTC STREETCAR. Literally, no joke the streetcar screeched to a halt and it TOUCHED HER ARM. That is how close we all got to watching one of our friends almost DIE. I mean, there’s just no way you could survive getting hit by a huge streetcar! Thankfully the rest of the night was less dramatic and more fun. And it ended with a late-night Indian food fest - random but delicious!
Kudos to a great weekend and a VERY relaxing Sunday. I am completely beat. Going to sit on my butt, catch up on my wonderfully addicting TV shows and listen to Harrison play Call of Duty.
I go to the drive-thru at Starbucks, order my tall iced nonfat caramel macchiato, drive up to the window and wait… and wait… pluck a couple of eyebrow hairs and wait… touch up my makup…. read my phone texts… wait… wait impatiently…. gradually getting annoyed… think to myself “WHY the hell are they taking so long? Don’t they know I have somewhere to be?”
"Hey so sorry to make you wait. We’re understaffed. Do you want a cranberry bliss bar?"
"YES!!!! Yes please and don’t even worry…you didn’t take long at all! Thanks!"
Basically, a delicious baked good is DEFINITELY worth the extra 5-7 minute wait.
BTW, if you haven’t had a cranberry bliss bar yet, you SHOULD. One of the most delicious things I’ve ever tasted - golden brownie with chunks of white chocolate with cream cheese icing & topped with cranberry bits. Heaven!
This article is hilarious. That is my childhood in a nutshell.
“What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you’re good at it. To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it is crucial to override their preferences.”TRUE
After reading this entire article, I actually understand my mom a little better…
I’ve been feeling a bit lethargic and unhealthy lately - probably from all of the junk I’ve been eating but no more! I am going to make a conscious effort before Christmas to cut out junk food and eat more veggies & fruits. This meal will be my lunch for the next week or so and it’s also a great thing to freeze for later as well.
I scoured my fridge for all the veggies I could find - cabbage, celery, carrots, mini potatoes (only about 8 to minimize the carbs), zucchini & mushrooms. You can really choose to use ANY vegetable you find for the soup.
Instructions: Boil the veggies with a can of diced tomatoes, an entire carton of chicken broth, 2-3 cups of water, firm tofu cut into cubes, flakes chili peppers, thyme and salt & pepper and voila! Delicious soup that will feed you for at least 10 lunches and/or dinners. YUM! I actually can’t believe how flavourful the soup is. And quite healthy! If I had quinoa, I would have put some of that in too. Aside from chopping up the veggies, it takes only 15-20 minutes to cook.
Ravioli with chicken in Vodka sauce
Finished with lunch ideas, onto dinner!
I am in no way a gourmet chef. Not even close. Basically, this entire dish came from Costco. We bought fresh ravioli with cheese & spinach, a jar of the most DELICIOUS vodka sauce and pre-cooked chicken slices. Mixed it altogether and you will get - quote Harrison - “the best pasta dish in the entire world”. It really really really was.
Plus it literally took me less than 10 minutes to prepare. I LOVE COSTCO.
And to think I did all of this while Harrison played the new Call of Duty and squealed in glee. (no joke)
ALSO - I’m REALLY starting to enjoy cooking and want to take some lessons, anyone know of any good places?
Let’s be honest, I can’t stop thinking about travelling. Since I’ve been back from Europe, I’ve been obsessed with figuring out with where I want to go next year. Granted that my cousin in China doesn’t get married next year and I’m forced to attend (although going back to see the Great Wall of China & family really would be awesome), here are the places that I want to hit up next year:
A) Costa Rica - Harrison and I were thinking of travelling here for a week next Winter (either Feb/March). I’ve only ever heard great things about the country and I’ve always wanted to go zip lining (despite my deathly fear of heights, time to conquer!) I’ve heard there’s beautiful waterfalls, amazing rain forests and the craziest wildlife! Must. Start. Saving…
B) NYC - as I mentioned last week, I MUST MUST MUST go to NYC once a year because my love for the city is just too overwhelming. I am pretty excited as I’m hoping that I get to go with my friends Jessica & Amy! The three of us don’t usually see each other as often as we’d like due to distance but they are both amazingly fun individuals and it would be a blast to go with them! The three of us are notorious for plans falling through so I’m hoping this one won’t. Plus I’ve also discovered NYC on a budget - overnight bus + apartment rentals = affordable way to experience the city.
C) Jamaica - it’s been on the top of my list for as long I can remember for obvious reasons. Going to Bob Marley’s birthplace, Nine Mile is in my bucket list so it would be a dream to chill out there and smoke one in honour of him! ;) My roommate and I were thinking about going sometime next Fall. Look at the ocean, gorgeous!
*daydreaming of snorkeling and sipping pina coladas
Okay, I will now come back down to reality and get back to work…
My BF’s mom & stepdad came down to visit for the weekend. On Friday night, we made some delicious spag and watched Horrible Bosses. HILARIOUS movie.
Went out for a greasy, mouth watering breakfast at Aris Grill in Roncesvalle… Mmm… best breakfast in the area hands down. Had a yummy sausage & scrambled egg wrap. I’m salivating thinking about it.
Went shopping at Sherway Garden and had fun, giggling times with the BF playing games in the Apple store. Sometimes, it’s nice to feel like a kid again. Also bought an adorable stuffed monkey for his nephew. (It has a big head and little body, best combo)
Went shopping at Costco which is one of my fave stores. (Weird, I know!) I love the free samples, nom nom. Harrison’s mom also bought Waffle a scratching pad and a box which he absolutely loves.
Enjoyed a delicious Italian dinner at Queen’s Pasta Cafe in Bloor West Village… I’m going to miss Toronto when Harrison & I move to Oakville.
A relaxing three hour nap on Sunday and waking up to Harrison making Pork chops with applesauce, green beans and roasted pinenuts and brown rice with yellow peppers. Mmmm…
Got home around 11pm on Sunday and watched Desperate Housewives & Dexter with my roommate. Good times. :)
Basically, it was a great weekend filled with wonderful people and delicious food. (A little too much delicious food, not feeling so hot today)
Next week, his dad and girlfriend are coming to visit - I’m super excited to go shopping in the States and pick up my Kindle. I’m debating whether or not I want to get another one b/c I don’t foresee sharing a Kindle with someone as an efficient way of reading. Plus I accidently bid on 2 of the exact same kindle cases on ebay and won both… now there’s an excuse to buy a Kindle ;)
You get into work and realize the $10 bag of trail mix you bought from Costco, despite the judgment from your roommate that you are spending that much on nuts & raisins, has little critter bites all over it and that there’s raisins EVERYWHERE on your desk. Not to mention something sticky (which resembled animal urine) on your desk and work files.
It’s like second year university all over again.
I. Hate. Mice.
Update: It may be a squirrel as all of the raisins is left and nuts are eaten. Also - my penguin shaped cheese crackers were left untouched and they were easy access. Therefore, my conclusion is a very hungry, fat squirrel!
I was going through my ‘likes’ and came across this. I was instantly mad at myself for not reblogging it because it made me laugh, smile, think about my life, want to change my life …. you get the picture.
Also, if you’re not following The Frenemy, you should be mad at yourself too…
Things Worth Knowing
1. Always carry cash. Whenever I go to brunch wif my friendz, everybody pulls out 3,000 of their finest credit cards and chucks them at the table.Somebody will figure it out, we all battle cry. Then we burp at the check, stare at each other while blinking, and see if we can stiff each other a dollar on the tip. Oh we forgot TAX! Later on, I get stuck at some bar with a 30 dollar card minimum and have to get 46 rum and cokes and start dry humping everybody to NeYo because I forget to carry a 20. Or I sort of want to pay a cab to take me home because I am wearing 8 inch heels with blisters the size of the dough bubbles on pizza crust. Where is my cash? Why is it in this little plastic card? We should all solve our problems, go to a bank, and take out forty bucks. Be a responsible adult! Blow your money in paper form!
2. Listen to your goddamn gut. It knows what it is doing, and it’s usually right. If you’re too stubborn to realize your instincts are your greatest ally, listen to your momma or your best friend. Don’t listen to your insecurities, your fears, or your blind optimism.
3. Wait for it. Wait for somebody who is perfect for you. I don’t care how long you’ve been alone, or how easy it is to make excuses for somebody who makes you feel bad. I don’t care if it’s because you kind of like them, and I don’t care if you think it ‘could maybe work out.’ Wait for somebody who is good to you. It doesn’t matter if they make you giggle laugh, because if they give you that empty ‘i’m not hungry’ feeling in your stomach when they forget to call, they are not fucking worth it. They are never worth your bathroom tears or your constant ‘what do you think it means’ barrage to your friends. You are worth it. You are stupidly cool/sometimes lame but you have a human pulse and you don’t kill people and you deserve to be happy. Maybe this person will take forever, maybe it will take till next week. Who knows when they will get their lazy ass off the couch and come find you? However, until then, don’t put up with bullshit. Don’t put up with the bad feelings. Just go do your own thing until somebody fits your puzzle piece. It’ll be something for the books. Don’t fucking settle for anything less.
4. Stop texting and call them.
5. Stop being so cynical. Smile on the subway, or when you’re walking down the street, or when you are on the line at the supermarket. Be happy. Try to look forward to something. Usually I walk around with a frowny fuck face because I can’t be bothered with anybody, but on certain occasions I walk around with a crazy shit grin on my face because it makes me feel good and nice. Smiling makes you feel okay. Try to do it as often as you can, and try to make yourself feel like what you’re doing is exactly what you want to do at the time. Listen, I usually say boring expected stuff for a girl with glasses, such as:I hate people and Everything fucking sucks. Still, every once and a while I need to feel idiotically happy and optimistic. I need to feel as if Cinderella birds are making my bed and I am pretty and floating on cotton candy air. Because you simply can’t be pissed off all the fucking time. It’s just not healthy for you.
6. Turn off your computer for a fucking second.
7. Be grateful for what you have. I have friends. I have friends who I want to sit on every roof in the world and just talk with, I have a pretty cool pair of shorts, and adorable Corgis exist in the world. I usually just sit around and whine for all the things I don’t have, or all the things I could have, and I eventually overshadow all the great wonderful I have going on. Like hummus! Hummus is so good! And so what if I have a couple of ingrown hairs? Or some shitbag I can’t text on the reg? There’s just way more things I could be whining about, like drinking wine.
8. Eat till you’re full. Eat when you’re hungry.
9. Love being with yourself. Get to know you and sort of like it. Try not to surround yourself with people all the time. Have inside jokes with yourself, or tv shows you only like watching by yourself. Get to know all of the things you enjoy, all the things you hate, and keep those for future reference.
10. Your past is for learning. Your future has nothing to do with your past mistakes, except for the things you learn and know and try not to carry too heavily.
11. Everybody’s got their own shit. You’re never alone.
12. Read more books.
13. Give more compliments.
14. Dance like an idiot when it is appropriate.
15. Wash your hands when you get home, or just generally wash your hands.
16. Read the news.
17. Say what you mean as often as possible.
18. Realize you have only one tiny life to live, and you should just do things you are scared of and things you love and things that just make you feel good.
19. Laugh at everything. Seriously, just fucking laugh a lot and as much as possible.
20. Oh, and eat your veggies, say ‘I love you’ and brake for squirrels.
It’s been a long week. Although my BF would most likely comment on the fact that I missed work for 2 days so it really shouldn’t be a long week, it still is. I feel like it’s been dragging and that Halloween was AGES ago. Maybe working last Saturday threw me off completely! Not sure.. either way, I’m so thankful for the weekend.
It’s going to be a crazy November - lots of people visiting from out of town (specifically, Ottawa) and lots of trips/visits to the States for some Christmas shopping! I can’t believe December is just around the corner.
I love Fall, I love the weeks leading up to Christmas & my birthday and then it stops there. I dislike hate the months of Jan - April, it gets cold & slushy and all I really want to do during that time is hibernate and be anti social which is not like me at all! I definitely get a bad case of the Winter blues. My goal this Winter is to go out and do more things! Maybe attempt snowboarding/skiing again?
Anyways, so excited for the weekend! My BF’s mom & stepdad are visiting from Ottawa so we’re going to go out for a delicious Italian meal, play some board games and maybe take a quick trip to Niagara Falls to do some shopping/sight seeing. Tonight, we’re cooking them some pork chops, green beans with roasted pine nuts and mini potatoes. YUM. I’m looking forward to some delicious food and relaxing moments this weekend!
Happy Friday everybody!!!!! I get to also go home and cuffle Waffle, YAY!
I LOVE this idea - I need to do this with my jewelry as I really dislike my organizer right now. Everything always is tangled and I’m always losing the back of earrings. This will be in my new apartment. I will make it happen. Especially the OWL on top ;)
I love the circle mirrors! Gorgeous and I really like the dark brown wood bed frame… currently I am sleeping on a mattress box & mattress combo which is fine but doesn’t look aesthetically pleasing. Cannot wait to purchase a new frame! =D The pug on the bed doesn’t hurt either ;)
Amazing colour scheme of pillows! I want a comfy couch with basically a shitload of pillows and comfy blankeys. LOVE this! (minus the rotary phone..)
WOW. Now this is what I need for all of my bills, random papers, etc., Love this so much!!!!!! And in the nooks that you don’t have books/boxes, you can put pretty candles, picture frames or flowers. I want this! I need this!
WOW. This is incredible. I only hope to have a house big enough that I can put this on my kitchen wall… lol but as I will be moving into an apartment, I doubt this would work with limited space. Plus doesn’t things get dusty quicker??